Thursday, June 21, 2007

Hog Joggin


Well, our weekends and weeks are flying by. It seems like the summer is always like that. It's always fun, but there's always a lot to do too. Lately, it's definitely been action packed. Let's see....we celebrated Father's day with both Ethan's family and mine. We are privileged to live close enough to see both. On the Friday night, we stayed in Flora,and then participated in the Hog Jog festival the next day. Well, at least I did....Ethan backed out on me!! He was supposed to run it too, but decided that he hasn't been training and he is so competitive that he wants to be able to run it really well. I didn't care...I just wanted to finish it without throwing up!!

It was my first race ever, which was a little nervewracking. But at the same time, it was only a 2 mile, so I thought it should be a piece of cake. Well, I ran it, and everyone told me to start off really slow because everyone starts out fast and dies about half way through. So I started out REALLY slow. I started in the very back, hoping that I was at the back of the runners and wouldn't feel stupid when old ladies passed me. BUT, everyone was passing me. I kept thinking, where did all of these people come from?!! Well, I started running with one of Pam's (my mother-in-law) friends and she told me to go on ahead of her, she couldn't keep up. I got about 1 mile into it and was WAY behind everyone. I felt absolutely great, and had been talking most of the time! (Ethan didn't tell me until afterward that you aren't supposed to talk in a race.....I wondered why everyone was staring at me like I was crazy when I was yelling hi to everyone. That's so me, chatting it up while I run. HA) Anyway, I kicked it in because I still felt great and knew I only had 1 mile left to go. I started passing people left and right, and got to the final home stretch and almost died!! I kept thinking, "I'm going to puke!" How horrible would that be to cross the finish line of Ethan's home town and puke?!!

One funny part though, I passed these two guys on the home stretch, and one of them turned to me and said it must be nice to be young and still have some kick left at the end. Well, I started talking to him about how it was my first race, and then went on to pass them both. Next thing I knew, I heard one of them on my heals and I kept thinking, "His goal is to pass me!!" Well, he passes me before the finish line, and the competitiveness came out in me. I thought, "There's no way!" I sprinted past him into the finish line! Ethan and his friend were yelling for me to pass him. Afterward, I felt bad! I didn't mean to humiliate the poor man. One of his friends yelled, "You got beat by a girl!" How funny. I told Ethan that I felt bad, and he said, "It's a race!! You are supposed to do that!"

The rest of the time was spent stopping for people to hold Bella and tell me how beautiful she is. I take pride in that as if I had something to do with it. Like she is my child.


I got to spend time with my crazy whacky cousin (who is like my sister) and we had a big family get together including the dogs. We decided to compare Bella to one of my collectable Boyd bears. Which one is real and which one is fake?! :)

2 comments:

Veldman Photo said...

How fun!!!

Your dog looks just like the bear! I miss you! Sounds like a fun weekend. I can't wait to see you next! When will it be???

Shawna said...

Hey Steph! Just wanted to let you know that I've finally created a blogspot account. Hopefully we can stay in touch better. It was awesome seeing you at the wedding! Hopefully we can all get together sometime. :)